List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New panel layout
From:       Gerry Gavigan <gerryg () uklinux ! net>
Date:       2005-08-30 23:37:43

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 15:27, seele@obso1337.org wrote:
> >> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> >>Ximian introduced this, and i've heard that those same people are in the
> >>process of removing it. why? usability studies with real world people
> >> showed
> >>it doesn't work out so well for average users.
> >
> > Sounds interesting. You don't happen to have any links or references?
> >
> > BTW, I think that we are going to see a lot of usability studies showing
> > that
> > shows that the less something looks like Microsoft the less usable it
> > will be.
> > And of course familiarity is one aspect of usability and as most people
> > have
> > some exposure to Windows  there would be some sort of truth in it
> >
> > Just like people have become accustomed to that a car have a steering
> > wheal
> > brake, clutch, accelerator and stick in certain positions.  they  have
> > been
> > accustomed to the look and feel of windows and if it deviates from that
> > it is hard to use even if the difference would be beneficial to them in
> > the long run.
>
> you cant compare years of human factors engineering in automobiles to high
> familiarity of using Windows.  one was engineered in a way to fit human
> and the other was engineered and humans fit to it.

while I've clearly got some way to go before I can start a left-handed KDE -
an automobile in the USA is very different to a car in the UK - left hand
drive and right hand drive tend to put the shift (gear) on different sides of
the driver and I believe the pedals are in a different order too.

but if the other was engineered and humans fit to it then there still seems to
be a case for thinking about left handed users - or give us all power tools
and watch us injure ourselves by cutting the power cord  or by cutting
ourselves