On Tuesday 30 August 2005 15:27, seele@obso1337.org wrote: > >> Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > >> > >>On Monday 29 August 2005 08:29, Uno Engborg wrote: > >>>Now we need to find a place for the things removed. The obvious solution > >>>would be to do like Gnome and add a panel at the top of the screen as > >>>well, > >> > >>Ximian introduced this, and i've heard that those same people are in the > >>process of removing it. why? usability studies with real world people > >> showed > >>it doesn't work out so well for average users. > > > > Sounds interesting. You don't happen to have any links or references? > > > > BTW, I think that we are going to see a lot of usability studies showing > > that > > shows that the less something looks like Microsoft the less usable it > > will be. > > And of course familiarity is one aspect of usability and as most people > > have > > some exposure to Windows there would be some sort of truth in it > > > > Just like people have become accustomed to that a car have a steering > > wheal > > brake, clutch, accelerator and stick in certain positions. they have > > been > > accustomed to the look and feel of windows and if it deviates from that > > it is hard to use even if the difference would be beneficial to them in > > the long run. > > you cant compare years of human factors engineering in automobiles to high > familiarity of using Windows. one was engineered in a way to fit human > and the other was engineered and humans fit to it. > while I've clearly got some way to go before I can start a left-handed KDE - an automobile in the USA is very different to a car in the UK - left hand drive and right hand drive tend to put the shift (gear) on different sides of the driver and I believe the pedals are in a different order too. but if the other was engineered and humans fit to it then there still seems to be a case for thinking about left handed users - or give us all power tools and watch us injure ourselves by cutting the power cord or by cutting ourselves _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability