List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New panel layout
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-30 9:53:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29 August 2005 03:15, David Laban wrote:
> Sorry, I wasn't being clear. If you have a "hide" button running along the
> edge of the screen, Fitts' law doesn't work for the *rest* of the bar, and
> the motive that started off the thread was using Fitts' law for the task
> bar etc.

which is why i removed the left hide button by default some years ago.

> For the record, I don't think the "screen edges" element of Fitts' law is
> really all that important,

think what you wish, but it is important. it's been proven in experimentation
and isn't really up for argumentation.

> as I'm used to being accurate with the mouse.

this is largely irrelevant and not applicable to most people. it's like saying
because Michael Jordan is used to be accurate with throwing round objects
into small bins, that we should make trash cans as small as possible. instead
we tend to make them with wider mouths than bases. Jordan be damned. ;)

> Also, I would pay attention to the variables "A" (distance from start to
> target centre) and "a" (a regression coefficient possibly dependant on
> thinking time) in "MT = a + b log(A/W)" [1] if we want to create a usable
> desktop environment

yes, these are also important issues.

> "a" is reduced by:
> o     using pictures instead of text,

or as well as text

> o     placing things in a consistant place (which is possible with virtual

another important item. we ought to combine them =)

> Sorry for going off into a monologue, but people seem to be using "fitts'
> law" as a buzz word to sell their idea, and I feel that pushing everything
> to the screen edges "because of Fitts' law" is a BAD philosophy.

it's actually a very good philosophy, as long as we don't stop there.

--
Aaron J. Seigo