List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Different .kde files for different hosts
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-08-30 3:44:51

Manuel Amador wrote:
> RTFM
>
> KDEHOME is the wrong variable for this.  Use KDEDIRS and
> a /etc/profile.d script if you want to achieve layered configuration
> based on host name, or the moon phase.

What does KDEDIR or KDEDIRS have to do with "$HOME/.kde"?

The original poster's problem is that he is trying to use different
versions of KDE with the same KDEHOME and it doesn't work.  He is
correct, it won't always work.

IIUC, his KDEDIR is a local directory on the machine he is using and the
KDEHOME directory is "$HOME/.kde" but his $HOME is on a NFS share.  But,
there are multiple machines which have different versions of KDE in
their KDEDIR.

So, if he implements different KDEHOME directories as subdirectories of
his (only ONE) HOME directory which is on a NFS share, he needs to have
the configuration files be different for different KDE versions but he
needs the data files that are in the "$HOME/.kde" tree to be the same
for all KDE versions.

My point is that this problem is another reason that mixing the
configuration and user data files into the same directory tree is a bad
idea.  For example if "$HOME/Mail" was still there, he wouldn't have a
problem with the Mail directory.

--
JRT