List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: User Resources
From:       David Laban <alsuren () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-25 1:22:52

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 15:08, Zak Jensen wrote:
> I visualized not a once-off behavior, but a dynamic change. So, when I
> plug my flash drive into my laptop, It will load those settings. When
> I take the disk to school and I plug it into a computer there, it
> would do the same thing. If I am lucky enough to use KDE at work, I
> plug it in there... etc etc.

There are some parallels between this and "hotsync" for PDAs.

If we were going to implement it, what would we do if certain files were
changed in both places at the same time?

What happens if you want to totally override all settings on the machine and
take them all off the removable storage

On my PDA, there is often the problem (on kontact) that any callander entries
you deleted on the PC come back to haunt you when you hotsync. We'd have to
have some kind of dialogue that goes along the lines of:

"I have found an alternate configuration. What do you want me to do?
o Use these settings for everything (purge existing settings)
o Use the most up-to-date settings
o Make a mobile copy of my settings (settings on mobile device)
[] automatically update my mobile settings when I log out
[] This is a public computer: Do not save my config

The last two tick boxes would be a useful selling point for people who run
internet cafes because they could simply sell (overpriced) USB thumb drives
and let people use their configuration in whatever internet cafe they want
and also at home. They could have a little notice saying "KDE roaming home
accepted here" :P