List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konsole 1.4.2 krippled by default PATH variable
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-08-23 15:37:18

Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 August 2005 08:08, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Dave Feustel wrote:
>>
>>>This version of ksh does not work like the original ATT (and MKS) ksh.
>>>Every instance of ATT Ksh executes .kshrc at startup whether it
>>>is a login shell or not. .kshrc is used to set the shell environment
>>>and define local functions.
>>
>>IIUC, that is the correct behavior for all shells.  That is the way it
>>is for Bash.  The script: ".bashrc" is run every time you open an
>>interactive shell session.
>

> In KDE 3.2.3 ksh running in konsole would execute .profile automatically
> also for new tabbed ksh shells. This is no longer the case in kde 3.2.3.
> This change in behavior cripples tabbed shells since the default path
> for the tabbed shells is so restricted. Although I like tabbed shells, I have
> stopped using them since I have to manually initialize every one of them
> with a . /home/daf/.profile before I can do anything useful. It's simpler
> to just click on the shell icon to start a new login shell that *is* properly
> initialized as a result of executing .profile. Note also that since .profile
> is not executed by non-login shells, the environment is not initialized by
> the script pointed to by the ENV variable. That means you get none of
> your function definitions, should you  define them (as I do) to do useful
>  things.

I think not.  Every time [with Bash] you open an interactive shell the
script file: "~/.bashrc" is run.  However, the script file:
"~/.bash_profile" is ONLY run when  a login shell is run (it doesn't
have to be interactive).  So, the KSh equivalent to: "~/.bash_profile"
which might be: "~/.profile" for the KSh (not sure though, you should
consult the man page) is (if you start KDE with KDM) only going to be
run when the script "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xsession" is run.  The is
probably where your problem is -- Xsession is not running or sourcing
~/.profile (or what ever it is called).