List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konsole 1.4.2 krippled by default PATH variable
From:       Dave Feustel <dfeustel () verizon ! net>
Date:       2005-08-23 13:22:06

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 08:08, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Dave Feustel wrote:
> > This version of ksh does not work like the original ATT (and MKS) ksh.
> > Every instance of ATT Ksh executes .kshrc at startup whether it
> > is a login shell or not. .kshrc is used to set the shell environment
> > and define local functions.
>
> IIUC, that is the correct behavior for all shells.  That is the way it
> is for Bash.  The script: ".bashrc" is run every time you open an
> interactive shell session.

In KDE 3.2.3 ksh running in konsole would execute .profile automatically
also for new tabbed ksh shells. This is no longer the case in kde 3.2.3.
This change in behavior cripples tabbed shells since the default path
for the tabbed shells is so restricted. Although I like tabbed shells, I have
stopped using them since I have to manually initialize every one of them
with a . /home/daf/.profile before I can do anything useful. It's simpler
to just click on the shell icon to start a new login shell that *is* properly
initialized as a result of executing .profile. Note also that since .profile
is not executed by non-login shells, the environment is not initialized by
the script pointed to by the ENV variable. That means you get none of
your function definitions, should you  define them (as I do) to do useful
 things.

--
Tired of having to defend against Malware?
(You know: trojans, viruses, SPYWARE, ADWARE,