List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: User Resources
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-22 20:29:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 22 August 2005 10:43, Zak Jensen wrote:
> I doubt the sendmail maintainers wanted to create the sendmail config
> file either ;)

it was a different era back then and the config file format wasn't really seen
as a problem. amazingly. heh.

i remember when the running joke was, "everyone uses the same sendmail.cf,
it's just a question of who they inherited it from."

> As far as the backup program config is concerned, I figured that it
> would be simpler to contain something akin to:
>
> <backup>
>   <title>Chat Logs</title>
>   <path>.local/chat_logs/</path>
>   <category>chat logs</category>
> </backup>

that's really about all you need. we'd probably have items to denote the
pathing system. for instance in KDE that would be KDEDIRS... so it might be:

<path system="kdedirs" local="true">kopete/logs</path>

and there would need to be support for multiple directories, so there would be
no need for multiple blocks as you had below, just one block with multiple
<path> elements.

and most likely each of kopete and gaim would install their own backup files,
so that if one day they did switch locations (or to a common location)
upgrading one or the other (or both) would result in the correct updates to
the backup registry being made.

and as much as we may like to work towards sensible set ups (like a common
place for chat logs), it's important to remember that we also have to deliver
software for today's realities. they just need to be able to cover the
possible worlds we want to see tomorrow as well.

btw, as for concurrent access and chat logs: a friend of mine stopped by for
coffee today and happened to note that up until this week he actually used
both GAIM and Kopete simultaneously. odd, yes. real world, also yes.

--
Aaron J. Seigo