List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Guidance of the user to all the locations
From:       Luca C <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-08-16 17:25:21

Alle 15:20, luned́ 15 agosto 2005, Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> On Monday 15 August 2005 05:57, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Please stay with the content. I really would appreciate some thoughts how
> > all these protocols:/ are supposed to help the user.
>
> as a response to the program and syadmin friendly but user unfriendly UNIX
> file system hierarchy.
Ok but where is the line between help and bloat?
KIO protocols (like kparts) are useful, but sometimes gets abused, while
media:/ for example it's a good abstraction of what happens underneath the
gui, other are often unecessary, for example, application:/ why is needed?
there is the kmenu, settings:/ , there is kcontrol, also homes:/ I don't say
"I don't like this then it cannot be done" but I think that there is the need
of some guidelines, or we get kde use ONLY KIOs everywhere, getting rid of
kcontrol and other things, round all the rough edges of this possible
implementation, and stay with this design, or draw a line where KIOs get
used, and where somehow "standard" ideas (as seen on other system) get used.
To me both ways could work very well, but only if developers stick with one
design and don't mess with other (like the actual kde)
Cheers

Luca