List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Fitts' Law for scrollbars and window resizing (was Re: An idea
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2005-08-15 13:39:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Montag, 15. August 2005 15:24, schrieb Maurizio Colucci:
> 2005/8/15, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>:
> >
> > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 14:17, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > > OTOH, if there was a _big_ button to page up and down, I wouldn't need
> > > a scrollbar along the edge of the screen anymore.
> >
> > Hihi; there is.
> > The empty part under the scrollbar-knob is that big button.  Click in the
> > empty area and see it scroll up/down one page.
>
> Of course, that's what we were talking about. The point is that it's
> not at the edge. So it should be at least four times as wide,
> considering how often I use it.
>
> Here's what: why don't we make all widgets automatically resize
> themselves according to their usage frequency?

That is a good idea, but cannot be followed singely on. There are more aspects
to the appearance of a GUI. Like esthetics, semantics, learned parallels in
the real world.

Another problem would be the dynamics due to this, which gives the user less
control and might irritate him (like the dynamic menus by MS). A better
solution would be to still collect the usage informations in the background
but only adapt to/suggest a new interface on the user's explicit command.

Regards
Friedrich