List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: An idea for KDE4.0-desktop
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-08-12 20:25:07

Dne pá 12. srpna 2005 19:34 Alan napsal(a):
> On Friday 12 August 2005 01:23, julian oliver wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > pretty challenging however. personally i find the mouse-work (look up,
> > point up) to be a boring yo-yo and i tire of it quickly. it's obviously
> > more mouse-work than that of the current KDE model, there's little
> > argument there (visualise working in the Gimp across OSX and then KDE,
> > trace the mouse trajectory).

 Wrong.

> </snip>
>
> This is my contention with the Mac-OS menu positioning on larger monitors.
> Back in the days of yore when I owned a 'Fat' Mac (with a whole 20Mb HDD!)
> and the 9 inch B&W screen the fixed menu position was just fine.
> Now I run a 19 inch CRT and look longingly at matching TFTs and I know, as
> the technology moves on, workstation screens are just going to get bigger
> and bigger so moving a mouse all over the desk to get the pointer from a
> small window at the bottom of the screen to a menu at the top just seems
> damn stupid.

 And wrong again.

 Or perhaps not that wrong actually, since you both admit you don't really
count as you've both barely tried it. I've been using it since quite some
time and on my 19" 1280x960 (used to be even 1400x1050) I can faster select a
menu entry from the bottom of the screen than a toolbar icon from the upper
half of the screen. Especially when I use the mouse mostly with my left hand
to be more effective with the right hand with the keyboard. And I can move
the mouse from the bottom to the top of the screen without raising my hand
and there's still a reserve. So much for more mouse work.

 Anyway, what's the point of this discussion? Pretty much everybody here
agrees the macmenu would be bad as a default, and it would be bad as a
default for a couple of reasons. So why still beat the dead horse, is this
some kind of a chit-chat forum?

--
 Lubos Lunak
 KDE Developer