List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: An idea for KDE4.0-desktop
From:       Alan <ajp () nospam ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-08-12 17:34:19

On Friday 12 August 2005 01:23, julian oliver wrote:
<snip>
> pretty challenging however. personally i find the mouse-work (look up,
> point up) to be a boring yo-yo and i tire of it quickly. it's obviously
> more mouse-work than that of the current KDE model, there's little argument
> there (visualise working in the Gimp across OSX and then KDE, trace the
> mouse trajectory).
</snip>

This is my contention with the Mac-OS menu positioning on larger monitors.
Back in the days of yore when I owned a 'Fat' Mac (with a whole 20Mb HDD!)
and the 9 inch B&W screen the fixed menu position was just fine.
Now I run a 19 inch CRT and look longingly at matching TFTs and I know, as the
technology moves on, workstation screens are just going to get bigger and
bigger so moving a mouse all over the desk to get the pointer from a small
window at the bottom of the screen to a menu at the top just seems damn
stupid. Yes, I have heard of mouse acceleration - tried it and hate it!

The Mac paradigm is fine for small screens - when I get my A1 size, curved,
panoramic super high-definition monitor (I can dream can't I?) a menu miles
away from my working window is really going to be lunacy.

- Alan

--
email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/