List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Simplified windowing mode (+ colourful idea at bottom)
From:       Christoph Wiesen <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2005-08-07 14:49:44

Am Sonntag, 7. August 2005 15:44 schrieb David Laban:
> I think it would be an interesting experiment to let you change the colours
> of the desktops, so the little desktop preview/pager in the kicker would
> show different colours, and also windows in focus on the red desktop would
> be red, and blue on blue and green on green etc. (I would suggest purple as
> the 4th desktop because yellow doesn't fade to black very gracefully and
> also it's my favourite colour :P:P )
>
> What do you all think?

I think it's a very good idea - pretty straight forward, too.
Some distributions -I believe Xandros does this - already show a colour-codec
pager and have background images that reflect these colours on the specific
desktop.

But really, having the window _decoration_ (not the whole window I'd say) have
the "desktop's colour" would really be quite obvious even to those who
haven't worked with Virtual Desktops before.
People will have their 'favourite' desktops (due to colour preferences) and
will be managing their work based on that... "stupid spread sheet goes to the
purple desktop.. hah" (kind like that ;))

Anyway if this is implemented it will be important to have a) colours that
aren't annoying in any way and b) don't make the different desktops look
radically different, just noticeable. But I think doing this through the
windeco colur is quite nice.

Regards,
Chris