List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Mouse Wheel on Desktop Pager
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-07 6:08:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 06 August 2005 09:43, Joseph Garvin wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >On Monday 01 August 2005 11:08, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> >>I guess I didn't explain well or won't be taken serious again cause there
> >>"are no numbers" - i don't have any numbers, just the honest request to
> >>consider if the proposed behaviour might not be better usability wise.
> >
> >yes, i'm aware of this issue. i've been over it so many times i have no
> > more energy for it =/ there are people who prefer it both ways and most
> > people just don't care. being able to quickly wrap around is a benefit in
> > my eyes, and unless i can be shown that there are very real, large
> > benefits to doing it otherwise, it will stay as is.
>
> Why not make this a configurable option? Just a check box?

look at how many options are already in the GUI for kicker.
then look at how many options are in kicker but not in the GUI.
then imagine how many different options that aren't there but could be that we
could add.

then imagine how insane this would be.

at some point lines must be drawn between "good options", "bad options" and
"options that we'd be adding just for the sake of having options".

> I understand
> his point -- if you want to quickly get to the last desktop it'd be nice
> to wheel over the pager down fast without caring about the exact number
> of clicks.

of course; and there's also the exact opposite point of view where wrap around
makes things faster for certain users.

> It's the same reason it's nice for maximized windows to close
> when you click the top right pixel even if it's not technically in the X
> box.

well, it's not really the same reason. this is an example of "fitt's law" and
doesn't have any side effects and therefore does not need to be made
configurable ...

> >changing the pager would necessitate changing the taskbar and other ui
> > itmes in kicker.
>
> How?

because i like to keep things consistent. if the mouse wheel scrolls in a wrap
around fashion in the pager, it ought to in the taskbar and elsewhere on the
panels as well. having some elements act one way and other elements another
is not so great.

--
Aaron J. Seigo