List:       kde-usability
Subject:    The advanced button.
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 16:23:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

Here is fact everyone know:
- To keep the settings UI simple,  we should minimize the number of options
per dialogs
- We still want to be very configurable and still propose an UI to edit
advanced settings.

So the solution is to add a "advanced" button, like in this screenshot
> http://www.icefox.net/audiocd/audiocd.png

The problem is that you search a setting, you still have to click on every
"advanced" button to know if it is here.

What i suggest is to add a text label next to the advanced button with is a
little summary on what's on the new dialog.

example in that case.
"Advanced filename settings, and encoder priority"

The reason i suggest that is that I often want to change quickly an option
that i know it exist because i remember having seen it when exploring the
config another day.
But it's hard to find it in so many config page, specially when you don't know
in which "advanced" page it is or it is not, and you have to open them all.