List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Dockable Find Dialogue
From:       Andrew Coles <andrew_coles () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-05-16 12:18:16

Hi all,

I've recently had a thought about the Find dialogue in Konqueror et al.  Many
people prefer the Firefox style find, appearing at the bottom of the window;
its drawback, however, is that it scores quite poorly in terms of usability
because people don't notice that anything has happened when they pick
'Find...'.

My idea was that the Find dialogue could be made into a floating dockable
dialogue.  By default, it could still appear where it does now so people
would notice it.  It could then be dragged to the bottom of the screen (or
the top etc.) where it would click into place as a toolbar and switch layout
(to one similar to the firefox one).  All being well, this would satisfy
everyone as both modes of operation would then be available.

Any comments/opinions gratefully received :)

Andrew