List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Managing multiple desktops
From:       Paul Sprakes <paul () sprakes ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-05-15 11:50:12

On Sunday 15 May 2005 12:19, Alan Prescott wrote:
> On Sunday 15 May 2005 12:08, Paul Sprakes wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but how about assigning
> > "Categories" to desktops? This would correspond to the categories in the
> > .desktop files. When apps are launched they would open up in the desktop
> > with the best matching categories. Then I could have an "Internet"
> > desktop, "Development" desktop etc.. The next step would be to improve
> > the menu editor to allow the user to edit/assign non default categories.
>
> </snip>
> And then of course there will be umpteen virtual desktops all called
> 'miscellaneous' :-).

I don't see why. No desktops would be automatically created. If no category
matches then the app just goes to the default desktop.

> As applications get more complex it becomes increasingly difficult to
> categorise them. For instance, which heading does kontact come under? You
> would have an 'Internet' desk top and possibly and 'Office' desktop,
> kontact would fit under both these headings.

Kontact just has the Qt;KDE;Office; categories so it would go to the Office
desktop if that exists, but I see your point. This idea is just analogous to
having an optional desktop for each applications menu submenu

> Since we can have an application appear on all desktops maybe the way out
> of this is to have the same application appear on several, specified
> desktops ...
>
> - Alan

I sort of like this - it might be usefull.