List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker find as you type
From:       Gábor_Lehel <illissius () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-09 14:15:43

On 5/9/05, Dominik Seichter <domseichter@web.de> wrote:

> > > For all keyboard freaks, we may have a prefix in the search field, like
> > > run [application] or r [application]
> I think it would be enough, if the search field would just work like minicli.
> Typing xcalc and pressing enter will start xcalc. Isn't that easier than a
> prefix? Also one could use webshortcuts like "gg:Kicker find as you type" to
> google in the search field if it worked like kicker.
Personally, I'd like it to work like amaroK's search field -- pressing
enter while the focus is still in the search field opens the first
matching entry, and closes the menu.

> > - Do users make use of the Quick Search?
> > - Do they have problems handling it (input field in a menu)?
> > - What do they enter (app name vs keywords vs both?)
> > - Do they have problems initiating the search by clicking . or /? Is it
> > necessary to have those search initiators at all?
> Currently we decided to give the search line the initial focus, after it is
> lost once (for example because of using the up/down arrows) one can access it
> fast using SHIFT+/ or using SPACE. This is still up for discussion, though.
Is there any reason against having / and . as well (or instead, though
I don't see the harm in having more)? Also, SPACE would conflict with
the existing find-as-you-type in the menu, for entries with a space in
them (eg, 'Control Center', or when only the descriptions are shown --
'Text Editor' for instance).