List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker find as you type
From:       Dominik Seichter <domseichter () web ! de>
Date:       2005-05-09 13:00:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

It would be great to get some real user testing on the topic and I am gald
that you volunteer to do so.

Our current progress can be found in subversion under
branches/kicker/kmenu_search/ . I think it is the easiest way if you just
check out kdebase from trunk and switch the kicker directory to the branch
mentioned above. Is this ok with you or do you prefer patches? Using
subversion has the advantage that changes you propose can be integrated
quickly and you can get the results almost immediately.

To give you an impression of what it looks right now:
http://krename.sourceforge.net/screenshots/kicker_05.png

We show immediate search results sorted by most recent usage in the MRU area
of the menu and we disable non matching items in the KMenu, so that the user
is able to learn where the application sits in the menu.

> > For all keyboard freaks, we may have a prefix in the search field, like
> > run [application] or r [application]
I think it would be enough, if the search field would just work like minicli.
Typing xcalc and pressing enter will start xcalc. Isn't that easier than a
prefix? Also one could use webshortcuts like "gg:Kicker find as you type" to
google in the search field if it worked like kicker.

> - Do users make use of the Quick Search?
> - Do they have problems handling it (input field in a menu)?
> - What do they enter (app name vs keywords vs both?)
> - Do they have problems initiating the search by clicking . or /? Is it
> necessary to have those search initiators at all?
Currently we decided to give the search line the initial focus, after it is
lost once (for example because of using the up/down arrows) one can access it
fast using SHIFT+/ or using SPACE. This is still up for discussion, though.

> - Do they expect the results to be consistent or volatile after
> re-opening the menu?
> - Are the results sufficient (for applications they do not know: do they
> need more information such as descriptions/further context? -> see Jan's
> mail below)
> - Do they accept it?
> - Do they appreciate it?

It would be great if we could get answers on all this topics. I hope the users
will use and appreciate it in your tests!

Thanks for your help!

CU Dom

Am Monday, 9. May 2005 10:29 schrieben Sie:

Dominik Seichter - domseichter@web.de
KRename  - http://www.krename.net  - Powerful batch renamer for KDE
KBarcode - http://www.kbarcode.net - Barcode and label printing
KDE Mass Mailer - http://www.kmassmailer.net - Mass mailing for KDE