List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: really wierd proposal
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2005-04-08 13:10:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 08 April 2005 02:43, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Freitag, 8. April 2005 01:32, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > On Thursday 07 April 2005 05:18, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > I might no need to but I want to ;) It might be complicated (is this
> > > what you mean with impractical?) to implement but doable still. It
> > > has already
> >
> > it's not so much technically complicated, it's impractical. let's say
> > we're both editting a KPresenter document. i have something to change
> > on page 4, you have something to change on page 7 ... we have to take
> > turns.
>
> There are different modes for collaboration: you can share the doc (and
> have different views) and you can share a view (all see the same). With
> the latter you can still have different cursors. When in need to work on
> different views one could split the views. Once done one view could be
> closed again. It may look impractical to you but I have had a lot of
> situation where this would have been useful.

What this sounds like is that you don't actually share the window between
users.  So you have 2 views of the same kpresenter window open.  Right?
Then I think this will only be usefull if you have a huge screen. Typically
1 monitor per person (at the minimum).

> > not to mention you actually have to be in the same physical space,
>
> ? Yes, this is the purpose. Think e.g. of Pair programming where two sit
> in front of the same screen.

I have been pair programming off an on for some time now; the whole idea of
pair programming is that one person keeps his hands off and just thinks
along with the other.  The fact that he does not have to think about cursor
movements and whatever makes him more capable of taking a step back and
providing a different perspective.  Among other things.
Giving that person an extra keyboard just basically does not make sense in
the case of pair programming.

> > this seems like something i'd use _maybe_ once a year,
>
> Others might use it more often ;)

What Aaron seems to point out is something you also seem to agree on.  That
sharing the same document (and seeing each others changes in real time) and
thus collaborating with each other is definitely a very nice idea.  Next to
that; you don't actually edit the same document in the same window at the
same time since that would not work on many levels.
So; Friedrich; what about the idea Aaron gave; where the document is edited
by any number of people at the same time.  Each his own window.  You can
share machine if you want, but you can also do it accross the world.

> > > Ever played "Frozen bubbles" with two players?
> >
> > yes, and both players are on the same screen.
>
> Well, yes?

And you have to share a very limited amount of screen real estate.  Thats
the problem.  This setup is a compatative setup;  one user can only gain by
the others losses.  As is the basic of many games.  IMO thats not a very
good starting point in collaborative working.  I never want a collaboration
to end the day in a "You loose!"..

--
Thomas Zander