List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: why dialogs are not windows
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-08 12:13:30

On Thursday 07 April 2005 13:21, David Laban wrote:
> What we have to be careful of is bloating the alt-tab so that it takes too
> many clicks to get to the application you want. I think it's a good idea to
> have alt-tab to move between tabs as well as windows (because I see tabs as
> a way of clustering multiple windows) but I think we should keep ctrl-tab
> to move between desktops because that way we have alt doing all the stuff
> you can see and ctrl doing all the stuff on other desktops which you can't
> see. What does everyone else think?

That has to remain for me anyway, since I don't see tasks on other desktops in
the alt-tab popup.

> While I think of it, I think it would be nice if ctrl-tab worked in the
> same way as alt-tab by going to the next *most recently active* desktop
> rather than just the next desktop (an alt-tab-like popup thingie would be
> nice too, listing the windows on each desktop before you make the switch.)

With the 4-key keyboard scheme that already works, meta-tab for me switches
history-wise. (And don't change that, unlike Thomas I'd get mad if I'm coding
on desktop 1 and have to hit meta-tab a zillion times to get to my desktop 5
where Kontact resides. Switching from IRC on desktop 3 to either my code or
my e-mail is slightly better, but still not ideal.)

> Also: Is there any way you can drag and drop windows from the taskbar into
> different desktops?(rather than "right click, move down to "to desktop"
> then across to 4" which is quite fiddly)

By keyboard there's meta-alt-fX where X is the number of the desktop in my
keyboard scheme. In the default scheme I don't know if there's a keybinding,
there are only so many keys you can bind globally if you have one modifier
less. Likewise for maximizing and minimizing windows, which don't have a key
in the default scheme either.

--
Martijn