List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: why dialogs are not windows..
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-08 12:06:37

On Thursday 07 April 2005 20:16, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > 1. alt-tab should be able to switch between anything, be it another tab,
> > another window, or even another tab in another window. The alt-tab popup
> > scales a lot better than the taskbar, so there's no reason not to do
> > this.
>
>  ??? I currently have 15 taskbar entries showing windows from all virtual
> desktops, and it's much better than those 3 entries from the current
> desktop in Alt+Tab. Current Alt+Tab is perfect for two windows, and gets
> progressively worse with the number of windows raising.

I'm mostly a keyboard user, so the alt-tab popup is a livesaver for me.
Keeping alt pressed and hitting tab or shift-tab until I'm at the place where
I want to be is so much more convenient that moving my hand towards the
mouse...

(The only exception being when web browsing, for which I do use the mouse, but
in that case the small size of taskbar buttons is annoying, I have to wait
for the tooltip to appear a LOT to find back my window. Tabs in the window
manager might be able to solve that though.)

>  Maybe my taskbar doesn't suck so much because it fills the entire bottom
> screen edge and has grouping turned on.

Mine has grouping, but is only about half the screen wide, the rest is taken
bij the pager applet, the clock, the systray and my most used app launch
buttons.

> > 2. it should be easy to add windows to a tabbed set and to undock them
> > again. If I have two konq's grouped and want to have them side by side
> > the last thing I want is a window manager getting in the way.
>
>  Actually I think that's the first thing you do. It should be noticeably
> simpler to have it handled by the WM than to have konqueror windows from
> two processes merged somehow together.

I hope so. :)

--
Martijn