List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide vs Checkbox
From:       Thomas Zander <zander32 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-31 7:08:55

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:45:47 +0100, Segedunum <segedunum@actuaria.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:53:03, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I suggest you take an application you are very familiar with and
> > switch it to (for example) japanese so you can't read what it says;
> > then test the above statements.
>
> I always thought the notion that humans pay much, much more attention to
> symbols and pictures than they do to text (especially in their own language )
> was an extremely well known fact ;).

Well; we were talking about 1 word changing state verses 1 checkbox
changing state where the original poster claimed that people either
select items on position or on whole word 'outline'.
I, and Aaron have pointed out that a) more current research shows
otherwise and b) 1 word changing does not disrupt the image and c)
just the position is useless; you need the words.
The c) part is where you came in; this pointer excludes the images part.
Your point is interresting, though.  We can't have an icon as well as
a checkbox in a menu, its an or/or proposition.  Your point that icons
are more easilly remembered is true, naturally and for this to work we
have to have text, not checkboxes defining state.

--
Thomas Zander