List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide vs Checkbox
From:       Segedunum <segedunum () actuaria ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-03-30 23:45:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:53:03, Thomas Zander wrote:
> I suggest you take an application you are very familiar with and
> switch it to (for example) japanese so you can't read what it says;
> then test the above statements.

I always thought the notion that humans pay much, much more attention to
symbols and pictures than they do to text (especially in their own language )
was an extremely well known fact ;).

> I'm sure you will come back stating that recognizing the words is
> _very_ important for navigating the menus.

Well yes, because the Japanese symbols are an unknown to the user and they are
treated the same as other icons and symbols - something to be worked out.

However, all that assumes that you have (as many (all?) KDE applications do)
an icon along with the text. If you don't then the text becomes more
important ;). That's part of where the problem lies.

> So, while your confusion is annoying for you, it also shows us that
> for the broad user base that KDE is aiming at the current solution is
> the one that avoids confusion for most users.

I'm afraid it's not quite that simple, and I'm willing to bet that no one has
this quite right at all. It's one of those occasions where I would like to be
able to try out Apple's famed usability, but alas, I've never been able to
afford a Mac.

Cheers,

David