List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: E-Mail Scrolling in KMail/Kontact
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-23 18:20:54

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 18:23, Davide Ferrari wrote:
> The problem with this issue is simple. We must find out what is the
> "center" of the program. The current *previewed* mail or the list of
> received mails?

The very reason why I use Kontact and why I shiver at the thought of using any
other mail client is that it allows BOTH to have focus at the same time.

I agree that the current behaviour is counterintuitive to newbies at best, but
once you get used to it you never want anything else.

That said, many people will probably never figure it out, you don't need a
usability study for that conclusion.

Thus, whatever the usability team comes up with, it has to meet two goals:

* allow both views to be handled with equal ease without requiring hard-to-use
   keybindings or focus shifts

* be intuitive even to new users

And no, I'm not going to suggest something, just like Harijs I read my mail
using the four arrow keys and to me it's by far the fastest way to go through
my mail. And combining private and work mail I read hundreds or even
thousands of messages per day, so I think I'm qualified to comment :)

So far my 2 cents...

--
Martijn