List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Bookmarks in the desktops context-menu?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander32 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-15 10:04:44

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:47:55 -0700, "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 11:01, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Hope that makes sense.
>
> it does. unfortunately there are very few things people can bookmark
> (websites, file servers, local file paths ...)
Don't forget design flaws like that konsole has bookmarks but they
don't integrate
with the 'global'  bookmarks stuff.

> and there are even fewer
> things that people actually DO bookmark.

> as our document counts and storage networks balloon, bookmarks become
> decreasingly useful as quick repostiories.
>
> this is where i'd usually plug klink as a way forward for document, nay
> information, centric desktops. but i'm too tired. need sleep. bbiaw =)

Agreed (ehm, you should get sleep, but I agree on the other points :)
.  The technology
is not available and/or reachable enough to be usable in the way
intended and with the
problem that most people already know how to (not) use the tech; I won't loose
sleep over the removal of the bookmarks item in the K and or Desktop-context
menus.

I'm placing my bets on desktop search...
--
Thomas Zander