List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-12 15:41:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 12 March 2005 12:37, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Currently, in bugs.kde.org, I can *vote* for some bugs or new features. My
> idea is to allow KDE users and fans to put their *money* in place of
> abstract "votes".

the more i think about this, the more problems i see it creating. "people
paying for bad features" is the least of them IMHO. there's issues of who
decides when it's "done"; there's issues of code quality; there's issues of
collecting and disbursing money; legalities that would come into play?;
there's issues of more than one person working on the same BR and feeling the
shaft when one of them gets the bounty; the fact that i don't see 20 people
voting on a bug coming up with any amount of money that correlates to the
time involved in fixing things; the fact that it isn't the patchwork that
needs help, it's the larger development issues which this doesn't address,
and so on.

and yet it seems like an intuitive idea. one that could work if only tweaked
in some way... so how about this scenario:

a concerned and excited group of KDE fans create a Friends of KDE that other
people could join for $N/year or month or whatever for which they get a
little membership card and some cool perks for being part of the team. the
Friends of KDE, besides being a nice avenue for grass roots promotion, would
then distribute this money directly to developers to cover things like travel
expenses to conferences, to help give them extra hours in the week to work on
KDE instead of working on other things (for those who have such flexibility,
anyways), perhaps even to sponsor one or two of our more impressive but
not-employed-to-work-on-KDE developers.

in other words, if there truly is this burgeoning but untapped cash pit out
there in the form of $20 here and $10 there amongst the user base, provide a
way to collect it (with incentives to those doing so) and then use it to fund
the existing process.

if people don't like how the existing development is going, i don't see how
their $20 is going to change that. if they do like how it is going and would
like to say "thank you" and even help it go smoother and faster, then i can
see that $20 helping.

just my $0.02

--
Aaron J. Seigo