List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE improvement suggestions
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2005-02-28 23:48:21

Ziga Kranjec wrote:

>> yes, the OS X way of doing it; i was wondering about how _nautilus_
>> did it... google apparently says nautilus also uses .hidden files
>> (same as OS X). this would be fairly trivial to add, really. but it
>> feels a bit like blunt force trauma: suddenly the listed items aren't
>> visible to anyone in the GUI (though the "show hidden files" setting
>> could probably be set to override it easily enough) ...
>>

> Adding a file to .hidden and doing refresh properly hides the icon in
> nautilus.
> Doing the same in Finder doesn't, strangely enough...

Actually it doesn't work the way I would like in Gnome either, as it
only hides the files in Nautilus.
The hidden files still show up in file dialogs ofGnome apps like gedit.

If we add a hide functionality to KDE as well, the files should make
sure that hidden files are
hidden in file dialogs as well, as it is probably here they are most in
the way of users. E.g
if there are many files, chances are much greater that you need to
scroll in a file dialog than
in a konqueror view.

Regards
Uno Engborg