List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE improvement suggestions
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2005-02-28 22:57:53

Harijs Buss wrote:

>On Monday, 28. February 2005 04:06, Aaron J. Seigo rakstija:
>

>> o profiles: how do you make a directory/file invisible for one person(s)
>>but not another?
>>

>Since there are only two interaction rights levels in *nix used on a PC (root
>and user), any user not seing something he needs (or _thinks_, or _reads_
>that he needs) will simply re-login as root. This seems obvious to me as
>simplest solution when, for example, somebody discovers that this file
>in /etc he needs cannot be even seen from user position. Therefore
>"Information censorship" proposed in this thread might significantly worsen
>overall security situation in Linux and other similar systems because more
>people will work as root all he time. That will be much simpler for anybody
>than re-design some censorship rules. I doubt that it is the right way to
>even think about.

My original proposal was never ment as a way to prevent access to a
file, merly to
hide things that was rarely or never needed by ordinary users. The
purpose was to
reduce the load on the user e.g. when selecting files in a file dialog.
Rather like the dot-files
in the users home directory, and I don't think users relogin in as root
to try to see those files.
But if it was desinged as some kind of security system your concerns are
valid.

Regards
Uno Engborg