List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE improvement suggestions
From:       Harijs Buss <hbush () apollo ! lv>
Date:       2005-02-28 6:59:58

On Monday, 28. February 2005 04:06, Aaron J. Seigo rakstija:

>  o profiles: how do you make a directory/file invisible for one person(s)
> but not another?

Since there are only two interaction rights levels in *nix used on a PC (root
and user), any user not seing something he needs (or _thinks_, or _reads_
that he needs) will simply re-login as root. This seems obvious to me as
simplest solution when, for example, somebody discovers that this file
in /etc he needs cannot be even seen from user position. Therefore
"Information censorship" proposed in this thread might significantly worsen
overall security situation in Linux and other similar systems because more
people will work as root all he time. That will be much simpler for anybody
than re-design some censorship rules. I doubt that it is the right way to
even think about.

Harry