List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE improvement suggestions
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-28 2:06:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 27 February 2005 06:24, ziga@mail.ljudmila.org wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 February 2005 01:56, Marco Martin wrote:
> >> that is also the method used by nautilus for hiding files, so this would
> >> also interoperable with gnome, that would be also nice
> >
> > do you have a URL to the spec, or a description of the behaviour to
> > offer?
>
> There is something about hidden files at
> http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS-X/invisibles.html

yes, the OS X way of doing it; i was wondering about how _nautilus_ did it...
google apparently says nautilus also uses .hidden files (same as OS X). this
would be fairly trivial to add, really. but it feels a bit like blunt force
trauma: suddenly the listed items aren't visible to anyone in the GUI (though
the "show hidden files" setting could probably be set to override it easily
enough) ...

but this still doesn't solve a few issues:

 o bookkeeping: which directories are visible, which aren't?
 o profiles: how do you make a directory/file invisible for one person(s) but
not another? in other words, how can we "kiosk" this?
 o working with the FHS: if we don't want to show /var, then /.hidden contains
"var", but then how are users supposed to navigate to /var/www/html?

i wonder (for the second time in this thread =) if blacklisting really isn't
such a great idea. it puts restrictions on people that create documentation
conflicts ("I was reading this HOWTO and it said to open a file in /etc but I
couldn't find /etc!"), treats users like they don't own their system, and
really doesn't help with the problem of "we only want to see X, Y and Z".

in my case, if i had a view that
showed /home/aseigo, /home/music/, /home/kdecvs and /var/www/html i'd be all
set.

i mean, WHY do people venture out of their home directory?
by accident? if so, what do they do when that happens?
on purpose? if so, what are they looking for, and who/when do they get lost?

blacklisting seems like shooting in the dark w/out those answers, and it has
the potential to make konqi appear or even be a lot less useful than it is.

--
Aaron J. Seigo