List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The tooltips on kicker buttons in 3.4
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-02-25 23:45:34

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 24 February 2005 07:26, Uno Engborg wrote:
>
>>The problem is the animations. You see a bigger version of the icon very
>>fast but it takes for ages
>>before you can see the text due to the animation. This sort of makes
>

> var int ages = 1; // seconds
>

>>them useless, users use the
>>tooltip to know what an unknown icon does, just seing it somewhat bigger
>>wont help so in reality
>>the cool animation makes them less usable. I haven't found out how turn
>>off the animation yet,
>>but really I shouldn't have to. This should be turned off by default.
>

> making them faster might an idea; half the timeout and you double the speed;
> try it out... kdebase/kicker/share/kickertip.cpp, change this:
>
> 	m_frameTimer.start(1000 / DEFAULT_FRAMES);
>
> to:
>
> 	m_frameTimer.start(500 / DEFAULT_FRAMES);
>
> but, yeah, i won't be turning the anims off by default... they really add
> something nice to the mouse over effect.

Please! Try to understand that this feature *is* "WAY COOL" but
developers need to make the product meet the needs of the users and some
users want something other than "WAY COOL".

This is not only a software issue -- if you don't understand, I suggest
the writings of Tom Peters:

	http://www.tompeters.com/

Meeting the needs of the users is (IMO) the proper definition of
excellence in software.

May I suggest that you first add code to access this variable from the:
kdeglobals or kickerrc file and make sure that it properly deals with a
value of "0".  Then you need to decide if this is something that needs
to be in the Panel KCM.

--
JRT