List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE improvement suggestions
From:       Alan Prescott <ajp () fudokai ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-25 21:29:37

On Friday 25 February 2005 14:50, Uno Engborg wrote:
<snip>
> What I meant when I said that newbies have more problems with the
> current state than
> experienced users is that they don't know how to use modifier keys to
> expand selections.
> That way they will have to answer the menu once for each file they move.
> In the long run
> this is very annoying.  I know people who have switched DE over this.
</snip>

Fine, let them switch DE, that's what choice is all about. Frankly I'd switch
DE to _get_ the RMB drag behaviour we have at present. As far as I'm
concerned I want an extra option on the menu for linking - after all we can
have both hard and symbolic links under *nix and I'd like the choice. If
newbies don't know what these are then teach them - don't just drop some of
these superb features just because windoze doesn't have them - or you think
that people aren't going to learn to use them.

I'm getting somewhat tired of this idea that useability means going for the
lowest possible common denominator all the time and we seem to be working
towards the concept of KDE as a DE for epsilon semi-morons.

- Alan