List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new KFileDialog (Mockup)
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-02-23 3:10:20

Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created a mockup for an alternative design of the new
> filerequester. You can find it at
> http://www1.physik.tu-muenchen.de/~mthaler/filerequester-mockup.png I
> think the blue and white stripes look even better then the plain grey
>  background and I think the stripes make the meaning of the quickbar
> more apparent. What do you think about it? (It probably does not look
> as good with the large icons. Maybe a plain background would better
> for the large icons option. Personally, I think the large icons
> option should be completely removed, because the small icons option
> is better anyway, it is not less usable, it does not waste space and
> IHMO it looks way better.)

Why is this color selection a bad idea?  Because it is too light.

This better:

	http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/jrt0000.png

but still not optimum -- still too light with an average of: 215.4
(according to The GIMP).

I note that it is better to use PNG for screen shots.  I ran this
through ImageMagick to remove the JPEG artifacts but it doesn't do a
perfect job (that would violate some law of mathematics and information
theory :-))

In any case, if something makes me squint, it is always my opinion that
it needs improvement.

--
JRT