List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new KFileDialog
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-22 20:55:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On February 22, 2005 13:55, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Which people?

i'd name names, but then i'd have to erase your memory. ;)

> > people have moaned about the colours used in the sidebar since it went
> > into CVS. a lot of people like the new look, and i've received numerous
> > compliments on it via email and irc.
>
> Interestingly, W2K used the same level of gray for their sidebar (I think
> it was even grayer). Strangely, nobody ever complained about that one.
>
> How comes that people are always complaining about KDE looks, but never
> about Wind*ws looks?

probably because: a) we are empowered to change things whilst windows users
aren't, b) we have better taste ;) and c) we tend to be odd, obsessive sorts.
=P

> [...]
>
> > let's see what happens when the RC1 is released. will people have a hard
> > time finding the speedbar? will they not know what it is?
>
> If "people" predominantly use the sidebar, it should be highlighted (or,
> "lowlighted", as was the case) to direct the people to the interface
> telling them: "Here's what you need most".

the speedbar isn't what you need most. it's what you need once or maybe twice
while moving towards a destination. it's the other 4 (!) editable widgets in
that dialog that are where the focus is mostly spent.

> If "people" don't use the sidebar, it apparently doesn't confuse them
> enough to be used. Hence, it can stay highlighted.

i think they do use it. and i'm not concerned about the highlight confusing
people. i'm concerned about it looking last century and being unnecessarily
distracting. i was referring to people being confused by the NEW behaviour.

> Just curious, did you do empirical research on this issue? Rants of gnome
> worshippers on the dot don't count ;-)

empirical, no. a combination of listening to numerous KDE Users whinge for
however long we've had that thing, watching people who use other platforms
with nice esthetics respond to KDE and some common sense regarding "things
that are darker / brighter tend to attract the eye."

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric