List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new KFileDialog
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2005-02-22 20:55:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag, 22. Februar 2005 20:52 schrieb Aaron Seigo:
> >  Previously it was a darker gray, and it stood out nicely.
>
> that's sort of the issue. it stood out rather glaringly. it's not necessary
> to hit people over the head with sledgehammers, in fact doing so makes our
> gui's appear heavy, busy and "bloated". i hate those terms probably as much
> as you do because we both know it's "just aesthetics", but it's how people
> perceive things.

Which people?

> people have moaned about the colours used in the sidebar since it went into
> CVS. a lot of people like the new look, and i've received numerous
> compliments on it via email and irc.

Interestingly, W2K used the same level of gray for their sidebar (I think it
was even grayer). Strangely, nobody ever complained about that one.

How comes that people are always complaining about KDE looks, but never about
Wind*ws looks?

[...]
> let's see what happens when the RC1 is released. will people have a hard
> time finding the speedbar? will they not know what it is?

If "people" predominantly use the sidebar, it should be highlighted (or,
"lowlighted", as was the case) to direct the people to the interface telling
them: "Here's what you need most".

If "people" don't use the sidebar, it apparently doesn't confuse them enough
to be used. Hence, it can stay highlighted.

Just curious, did you do empirical research on this issue? Rants of gnome
worshippers on the dot don't count ;-)

mfg
 Leo