List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Hide Menubar" proposal
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-02-20 21:20:16

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 19 February 2005 06:10, ra1n wrote:
>
>>while interesting, this thing raises a little problem....non KDE apps
>>are unaffected by this change, using only 1 non kde app (like the actual
>>Openoffice, or mozilla family for example) makes an inconsistent user
>>interface.
>

> which is why we'd take it to FD.o to make it a standard. yes, some legacy apps
> would certainly not follow this, but with KDE versions of OOo and Firefox
> available it's not such a huge issue.
Well, if Gtk&Co. will follow, the problem remains only for very old
(read....motif) or uncommon toolkits.
But I think that this could raise some criticism (because we follow/copy
Apple) or worse some patent issues (because we copy Apple) said that the
last doubt is if this behaviour should be made default, or keep it
configurable, to make the user choose between macos and the old menus,
also this configuration should affect at the same time the other
toolkit..... I don't think that will be so easy.....

>>Florian's idea is good, but it's not so intuitive (I've stared at the
>>demo a lot before I understood how to make the menubar reappear :-P)
>

> agreed. it also defeats the common purpose for hiding the menubar.
>

>>probably the best option is having a better organized toolbar where the
>>restore menubar button could appear when you hide the menubar by some mean.
>

> well, one usually hides the menubar to get maximal window size, meaning the
> toolbar being there isn't likely, either.
Or because it's not needed most of the time, in this case toolbars are
the only way to interact with the program (and bring up menus if they
are needed)

Cheers

Luca