List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Search dialog vs. search bar
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-02-16 16:56:37

Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 February 2005 12:18 pm, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
>
>>Drag?! Why not just focus the other window by clicking the spot you see?
>

> Because then you totally lose your main context window, i which something else
> important may be going on.

That's what the taskbar is for...

> I don't think it is that weird of a case to be using two windows at the same
> time, is it? After all - it's the whole purpose of windows in the first
> place, otherwise everyting would just be maximized all the itme.

Apart from the fact that this is exactly how I use the desktop... me and
   about all the users I've known.

But let us assume your style of usage is frequent under expert people.
Let's say 50% of the people drag a window as you say (making it
partially invisible).

Of those 50%, how many people do you believe would press CTRL+F without
first making the window fully visible again, KNOWING THEIR SEARCH
RESULTS COULD VERY WELL BE IN THE INVISIBLE PART?

Let's say 5% users do such a naive thing.

Of those 5%, how many people, AFTER hitting CTRL+F and not seeing
anything, would not think "maybe something happened in the invisible
part of the window? ". Let's say 20%.

Multiplying the fractions, we have (50*5*20) / (100*100*100) people who
would be hurt by a search toolbar placed below. That's 0.5%. Hardly
something we should worry about. This is not to say I have something
against a search bar on top.

Cheers

Maurizio