List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Search dialog vs. search bar
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2005-02-16 11:11:35

El Miércoles 16 Febrero 2005 11:19, Thomas Zander escribió:
> Hi Luciano,
>
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:06:53 +0100, Luciano Montanaro
>
> <mikelima@cirulla.net> wrote:
> > El Miércoles 16 Febrero 2005 10:35, Thomas Zander escribió:
> > > You are trying to solve a couple of problems with one unified
> > > solution that a) are not problems individually
> >
> > I beg to differ here:
> >
> > the "regular find" (the find dialog) does not have incremental search,
> > plus it gets in the way of the search (it occludes your view of the
> > document).
> >
> > The incremental search user interface is too primitive as it is.
>
> I agree that they are two very different systems with different ways
> of working inherent in the design of their interface.  If they have
> usability problems then these will have to be solved in that specific
> user interface.
> For example; the current CVS find dialog does not occlude your search
> results.

> Solving usability bugs is a good idea; saying all users must drop
> their preferred way of working because you feel another approuch is
> superior will just not do.

Did I really said that?
I hope not.
I posted here just to request for comments and ideas.
Anyway, I still think they are different  interfaces to the same needed
function. If they both may be improved, I think nobody would complain.

I'm actually interested in improving the current "quick find" interface, and
finding a way to enable it for more applications. If it's possible to also
improve the other one in the process, who is going to complain?

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo
                                                          - Enoch Root