List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Search dialog vs. search bar
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2005-02-15 18:33:24

Hi everybody!
I have been thinking on and off about this for a while, and I'd like to know
if my opinion is shared.

I have been using the incremental search function of konqueror since I
discovered it, and I really love it.

It is great, but it still has some problem:

- It is hard to dicover. It cannot be reached through a menu or a
  toolbutton, only through the '/' shortcut.
- even when the user finds the shortcut the feedback it provides can go
  unnoticed.
- it's used in konqueror alone. Any searchable document should use the same
  technique, when available.

I was thinking of solving these problem by creating a dynamic toolbar with a
text entry widget, that would popup when the shortcut or the
Edit->Search... menu item was selected.

Now I have fould out that Firefox too has this functionality, and does
indeed work this way. The toolbar also has some additional fields, just
like a linearized search dialog.

The search dialog too has problems, the most prominent for me is that it
generally covers the result of the search.

So in the end, I think the search dialog should be substitued by a search
bar in most applications. Currently, the search dialog offers a number of
option, which are not needed most of the time. Maybe an search options
button could be added to the toolbar, together with some common search
option.

What do you think?

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo
                                                          - Enoch Root