List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Action menu for windows?
From:       Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch () ttgen ! net>
Date:       2005-02-10 14:17:07

Hi,

Two days ago I was talking to someone who's KDE popped up a strange message
about a DCOP problem each time during startup. It was not ovious which
application was responsible for it.
So yesterday I wrote a small patch for kwin and ksysguard, which adds a new
entry to the "Advanced"-menu of each window menu. It will open ksysguard and
highlight the processes which has opened the window. The patch and a
screenshot can be found here:

As expected, several people think it's pretty redundant. ksysguard doesn't
tell too much about what the program is doing, so maybe it's really not of
much use the way it is now. But if ksysguard or another small application
could also list things like the opened files and network connection, this
could help even less experienced users to figure out the reasons for some
problems.

Then in a comment on kde-apps.org, someone said that ksnapshot also doesn't
integrate with the window menu, suggesting that ksysguard shouldn't do so
either.
But the question is why not? Couldn't we add an extensible "Action"-Menu to
the window menu, which lists all applications that can operate on a process
or window? This way, a window would provide a "context-menu" similar to the
one of file system objects, so users will be used to the concept right away.
The window action menu could contain commands like "Take picture", "Show
process information", "Attach to debugger", "Open with package manager" and
similar. Part of the contents of the "Advanced" menu could go there too
maybe. Would this be helpful enough to justify a new submenu in the window
menu?

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen