List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Systray Usability
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-06 10:35:06

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> and for people that don't have a systray visible? or wonder why only some
> windows are there in the taskbar?

People without a system tray are already lost. Start an application that on
window closing goes to systray and try to quit it. You cannot. Even worse,
for example KPPP on connect may go to systray and you can't disconnect from
the network. This is also a reason why the current way of system tray is
somewhat broken. Let me write down once more what I think it's needed:
1) when no system tray is available/shown, the system tray applications
should appear on the taskbar. Reasoning: the above issue.
2) when the application's main window is closed the application should quit,
not remain running in the background/system tray. Reasoning: consistency.
Closing the main window closes the application. Period.
3) applications (not-deamon like ones) wanting to go to the system tray
should offer a setting to minimize to the tray (*if* available) instead of
the taskbar.

Obisously this requires changes both in the system tray/kicker/taskbar and
in the applications, but this should be no problem for KDE 4.

Andras