List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Systray Usability
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-05 23:16:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 05 February 2005 06:04, ra1n wrote:
> Probably was me that started the discussion, your Idea seems good to me,
> I proposed the same for system tray applications, there is no need for
> them to be displayed in the taskbar because they provide feedback from
> their systray icon.

and for people that don't have a systray visible? or wonder why only some
windows are there in the taskbar?

what people in this discussion seem to be missing is that technical
implementation and perceived interface are _completely separate things_.
sometimes they mimic each other, but often the don't.

in this case, general users do *not* see the systray icon as connected to a
window (any window). it's a distinct bit of the interface. which is why
closing an application's window (versus saying "Quit this program") removing
the systray icon is unexpected for many/most; it's also why removing such
windows from the taskbar would also be incomprehensible.

i'm all for putting action menus in the taskbar, and even moving some systray
icon functionality to the taskbar.... but treating the window and the systray
icon as obviously joined items is a wrong assumption.

--
Aaron J. Seigo