List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror menus (2)
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-01-12 17:53:11

Le lun 10/01/2005 à 11:20, Florian Graessle a écrit :
> I do think this option does more harm to users than it helps them. Have
> a look around at random linux forums and search for "KDE menu bar".
> There are several threads in which people desperately needed advice on
> how to get back the menu bar in Konqueror after they apparently hit
> ctrl+m accidentally.

Well designed apps (should) show a message box when hidding the menubar,
even by pressing Ctrl+M.

Now, a better way would have this dialog be an 'OK / Cancel' one instead
of just a 'OK' one.

Let's say:

| You are about to hide the menubar.
| Press Ctrl+M to show menubar again.
|
|         [OK]    [Cancel]

Then, users hitting Ctrl+M by accident will see this dialog suddently
appears.

I often observed users pressing Cancel when they don't know what the
message is about (since Cancel always means "forget my last action,
whatever it was", it is quite sane without even reading the message,
since users don't read messages).

If they pressed Ctrl+M by mistake they will be able to don't hide the
menubar.

--
Séb.