List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Superlous configuration?
From:       chris () deadhand ! com
Date:       2005-01-05 12:13:40

There are many assumptions in your statements - is it really so
unbelievable that there _might be_ need to really delete something with
the mouse (this is a GUI, right?).
It's ok to disable "delete" in the context menu by default because
novice users propably expect there to be some sort of trash between them
deleting a file and the file beeing really gone. But what's wrong with
advanced users deleting files they know they don't need anymore?
Moving them to the trash would just make you see the file again (and
waste some time looking at it) when you review the contents of the trash
before deletion.

But the point really seems to be "is there a need to directly delete
files via the gui" since you correctly stated there is always
shift+del:

>- What advanced user even uses right click to delete anyways
Well, me. And I know quite a few users doing the same... but they use
Windows.

Maybe I just don't see the point - it's only an option and even though I
think keeping (the to novice users obviously visible) configurability
slim is not the worst idea ever this option isn't the most redundant
around...

Cheers,
Chris