List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: It is illogical....
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-12-13 17:45:07

On Thursday 09 December 2004 22:20, Daniel A. Molina wrote:
>  From the point of view of usability, shouldn't just the user try to
> copy and the computer inform him/her there is not enough space in the
> target ?  I mean, computers are here to help us,  not adding more work.
> Instead of trying to make for easier for the user to verify the
> available space, shouldn't the interface remove that responsability from
> the user altogether?  (this is not saying that easier ways to see
> available space are not welcome, but just aimed to a different purpose)

You mean the computer should check the available space before doing the action
and it there is not enough, pops up a Dialog informing the user? If so, I'm
totally for it... but no dialogs to inform "There is space", that would be
stupid.

Also, this should be in lower parts of kde since many apps fail and nobody
knows the cause, just if one looks at ~/.xsession-errors. For example, at my
school we have a NFS homedir that's just 50mb... Firefox is not configured so
it caches can fill the 50mb! Some users try to log in, kde fails to start and
backs him to kdm/gdm... It should say that there is not enough space instead.

Same for applications that try to write cache and fails if no space is left.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri