List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Initial welcome application info
From:       Sébastien_Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-11-25 15:07:35

Le jeu 25/11/2004 à 15:27, Jan Muehlig a écrit :
> Suggestion:
> When the application starts for the first time, show some kind of popup
> that gives basic information about what the program does. For example:
> "This is mindmapping tool that helps you organising and visualising your
> ideas or argumentations". Many rpms provide this information anyway.
>
> This inial popup has the unchecked checkbox "show at program start".
>
> Comments?

Yes:

A usability study on my program issued that too.
I would want to add a thing to the description: where the user starts!
It's cool to know what a program does, but sometimes (perhapse not
always...) a hint to say what the user can first do is good.

Screenshots:

When a user create a new document (or start the app for the first time),
the following message is incrustated in it:
http://slaout.linux62.org/basket/usability/basket-empty.png
It show what it can do since he started the app, and can have more help
on what the application is by clicking the small link:
http://slaout.linux62.org/basket/usability/basket-empty-whatsthis.png

The advantage over a popup is that user can start to use the app
immediatly (contrary to annoying "tips of the day") and can as well
ignore the message.

It's would be cool if this initiative were added to some applications (I
have in mind Kst: an app that I wasn't knowing what it does for some
time)...

Best regards,

Sébastien Laoût.