List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Strange selection highlighting system in Konqueror
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-11-24 15:41:13

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 12:59, ´ácek Kry¨tof wrote:
> Imagine this situation in Konqueror's right panel:
>
> file1 ... no highlight
> file2 ... keyboard cursor highlight (transparent highlight)

Please put highlight in quotes here, this is the cursor (everywhere in
KDE the cursor signifies the location of action, like while typing
text, browsing through an UI etc.)...

> file3 ... full highlight (opaque highlight)

...and this the selection (everywhere in KDE a selection signifies
something which can be copied/pasted/cutted/deleted and whatever else
through a shortcut, the right click menu or the toolbar).

> Do you think everybody can say for sure what happens if:
>
> - delete is pressed?

Selected entries get deleted.

> - Enter is pressed?

The entry at the cursor gets 'executed'.

> - copy is pressed?

The selected entries get copied.

> I bet, many new users will not. That was my point.

I got your point, that's why I described how this case is handled
under newer Windows and under Mac OS X. You seem not to bother to say
what approach you'd like to see and why or what's your issue with
finding out about KDE's behavior (which b.t.w. is similar to how
pre-XP Windows behaved, but more consistent).

Cheers, Datschge