List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Strange selection highlighting system in Konqueror
From:       <Krystof.Zacek () i ! cz>
Date:       2004-11-24 13:34:33

Am I the only one who has problems with the selection highlighting in
Konqueror?

I do not understand why there are two types of highlighting of selected
files: the full highlight and the marquee style highlight. It is
especially confusing, when both of these highlights are present at the
same time and you press delete/copy/enter. Which item will be
deleted/copied/opened? Yes, I know the answer - I made the experimets:

If you press delete the fully highlighted items will be deleted. But if
you press Enter the marqueed item will be opened. Weird.

This must be confusing for average user. Is it Qt or KDE feature? It is
pretty useles to introduce such complicated selection system and it is
even dangerous because it introduces ambiguity to such a sensitive
operation as file handling surely is.

It must be always obvious what is selected and what is not. Simpler is
usually better.

Regards
Krystof