List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       gafm () inf ! ufsc ! br
Date:       2004-11-16 14:44:42

> > if translations usually expand the text, why would you want to add words
> such as "computer" when its assumed?  the function of the button restarts or
> shutsdown the computer, correct?
>
> I'm not sure 'restart' in that dialog assumes the computer.  Never
> underestimate the fear of computers by non-technical user.  A simple (but
> incorrect) interpretation could be that the user expects to re-login using
> 'Restart', assuming "restart session".
>
> Logout is certainly much to technical and not present in the normal humans
> vocabulairity.
>
> Besides; the current texts were changed to be less technical after a
> discussion and I feel its not needed to repeat that discussion.

Login and logout are common words for those with a litle computer/web
experience. User with this experience, IMO, dont care about session is. They
are in the system or they are not. My dad wouldn't know what session is. So he
would always want to restart or shutdown the whole machine. And if you want to
be radical, a new comer doesnt need a reboot option. Reboot is just when you
are in the CTRL ALT DEL OS, or have dual boot machine like some of us :)
For newbies there isnt a difference between a VCR and a computer. And in the VCR
there's a button that says "Power" not "Power up/down VCR". Always KISS!

Greg, no clothes would help KISS!